Friday, January 11, 2013

When the pipe breaks, the water will fall...

So, um, yeah. Broken water pipe in the ceiling at my office. Went home Wednesday night and left the computer on; came back in yesterday morning to find the computer sitting in three inches of water - along with my desk. Fortunately, I don't keep much of anything else on the floor; a lot of people had stacks of paper, rolled up maps and blueprints, cameras, boxes full of files... yeah. It knocked out about a third of the building, and caused second-generation problems even up on the next floor.

Four feet further up the hallway, and it would have reached the server room. That would have been a disaster.

So we came in and found that the office was inaccessible. We promptly set up a work center across the hall, in one of the big meeting rooms, so we had some place where the really critical people (e.g., Payroll) could do their jobs. I'd given up on staying dry, so I kicked my shoes off in the server room, rolled up my pants, and waded around in my bare feet. One of the guys from another department looked at me funny - kind of disapproving, really - but I stand by the decision. It was probably some sort of unforgivable OSHA violation, but my feet dried almost instantly once I was out of the water - while the folks who kept their shoes on were still squishing around in wet socks well after lunch time.

I'm not at all sure just how much is going to have to be done to get the building back in shape.

So I'm working from home today, and on a completely different computer from the one I usually use. This is a little awkward, but not too bad. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!