Friday, February 21, 2014

Dear Secondborn...

My dear, sweet child...

I realize... that you are three.

I realize that you are playing Lego Star Wars.

I realize that you are not wearing any pants.

And I realize... that as a pantsless, game-playing three-year-old... you are deeply involved in your pantsless playing of games. I realize that nothing else in the world has much, if any, importance to you. I realize that since nothing else truly matters, by all rights I ought to be perfectly willing to drop whatever trivial task I'm doing - reading a book, say, or paying bills - and come running to assist you.

However... and I realize this will come as a shock to you... I am not going to do that. I know this must seem senseless and cruel, and I can only hope that someday, in the weeks or years or decades to come, you will understand and forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!