Friday, May 30, 2014

Today in Parenting... How Die-Glue Is Essential For A Playwright

So I'm working with Firstborn on some of his schoolwork, because somehow he has managed to fall behind... (Well, not "somehow". I mean, we know how. He fell behind by NOT DOING THE WORK. But I digress.)

Me: "So, you have your two characters. You've written down adjectives for each of them. You've decided that they're in, on, or near a volcano. Now you need to write a play about the animals surviving on the volcano."

Firstborn: "..."

Me: "Do you know how to write a play? I mean, do you know how the format works? Have you seen what a play looks like when it's written down?"

Firstborn: "Of course. It uses Die-Glue."

Me: "Die-Glue?"

Firstborn. "Yes, Die-Glue."

Me: "That sounds like something that sticks things together and then makes them die."

Firstborn: "It makes a play. One person talks, and then another."

Me: "..."

Me: "...Dialogue? Are you trying to say dialogue?"

Firstborn: "It looks like Die-Glue to me."

Me: "Only if you put the L in the wrong place."

2 comments:

  1. That's funny. They are writing plays in second grade?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently. I mean, we're not talking Three Act Structure and Layered Symbolism, here, but yeah...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!