Friday, June 12, 2015

The Night That Never Ends

Had in intruder in the kitchen at about 4:00 this morning. Unsurprisingly, it turned out to be Firstborn. He was trying to get a cup of water... quietly. He succeeded at the getting-himself-a-cup-of-water part.

Hearing people moving around promptly set off the FAMAS (Feline Autonomous Mobile Alarm System, better known as Captain Meowy-Pants). "Meow, meow, meow. Mrrrrrrrrrow??? Mrrow!! Meow. Meowwww? Mrow. MRRROWW!!!" ...Etc. When I finally climbed back down from the loft bed to turn off the cat, I discovered both boys sitting on Firstborn's bed, looking at the instructions for the Lego Bionicle characters that Firstborn got for his birthday.

Patiently, I explained to them about how it was four in the morning. Gently, I pointed out that it was still completely dark outside. Calmly, I mentioned that nobody in the house should be waking up for a good three hours yet. Serenely, I asked if they would consider shutting the light back off and at least attempting to go back to sleep. And they did. Attempt to go back to sleep, I mean.

This time, I collapsed on the couch. Officially, this was because my presence there made the cat less likely to go off again. Unofficially, I might have been afraid that I lacked the coordination to make it back into the loft bed intact. Regardless, I drowsed there until it was time to start getting ready for work... and then I drowsed there about twenty minutes longer.

When I finally stumbled to my feet, Firstborn was putting the finishing touches on one of his Bionicle guys. Whether he went back to sleep at all, I have no idea. Secondborn, at least, was passed out on the bed.

So, here I am at work. I'm just going to sit here and chat with my breakfast while I eat my co-workers. Hopefully I'll be awake enough after that to do actual work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!